Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


November 22, 2007...My first Thanksgiving away from home; it wasn't bad. Granted I did miss our annual football game but as a friend reminded me, "I'm sure they'll be playing next year." Good reminder! I have to admit Thanksgiving day alone was not that exciting but the five days that surrounded it were quite exciting. Week one of tour we all, the entire choir, stayed together at a camp; since then we have been in host families. Until...Wednesday November 21. From Wednesday to Sunday we all got to spend time together at the same place. The first two nights were at the Church we preformed at; we slept on the carpeted gym floor. The second two nights were spent at a church camp, where we saw our first snow...this I will talk about it a little bit.



The day after Thanksgiving my Mom and Grammy came up to visit. It was nice to spend time and visit with them. I was even able to spend one night with them in the Hotel. They arrived Friday afternoon and came to the concert that night. Actually, Beth and I were doing laundry at a laundry Mat and they found the two of us there...as soon as they got settled into their hotel. Side note: Doing laundry for 26 children is quite expensive!!! Mom and Grammy came to the concert that night and Mom bought out the entire product table...everybody knows what they are getting for Christmas now!!



Saturday they came to the camp we were staying at and were able to spend time with the kids for a little bit. Not only did they get to spend time with the kids for the first time but it was the kids first time to play in snow. The night before Mom and Grammy came it snowed...oh about 3-4 inches. They arrived at the end of rehearsals....so...they got to see a bit of rehearsals and then play with the kids in the snow. It was a great time!!! The kids built snowmen...well half snowman half leaf man, they made snowballs and snow angels. I have lots of pictures on my picture site. Then they took, Beth, Rosette and I out for lunch and shopping. We ate at Chili's. Funny, restaurants you take for granted back home become five star restaurants when you do not get to go to many restaurants. After our outing we dropped Beth and Rosette back off at the camp and I stayed with mom and Grammy. They took me out to eat at some fancy, home-style chicken restaurant; it was nice. It was a set menu, so you ate what they brought out and boy did they bring out a lot. Chicken, Mashed potatoes, cream corn, rolls, cottage cheese, fruit, gravy, jelly, and to top it all off ice cream. When dinner was over we went Christmas light looking. There were a few houses that had already put their light up. Then it was back to the hotel. The next morning they came to church with me. This was the first Sunday we have not had a concert. So...the kids sang one song and then went to children's church and all the chaperones plus Mom and Grammy stayed for the service. It was a nice visit, I am so glad they were able to come! After church we headed our separate ways; them to the airport and us on to our next concert.






One more reminder of home came Monday night. My host family went over to another host families house and we had a hot dog roast!!! The Uncle had built a ka small fire and we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows over it. Some of the kids tell me they ate 26 marshmallows...this I can not believe...but they did eat a lot! I stayed by the fire as long as possible for many reasons. One it was very cold outside!!! Two it reminded me of our camping trips back home...I was wishing Mr. Fordinal, Mr. Urban and Mr. Dillow were all with me and had their guitars. Third it reminded me of our annual girls weekend at the ranch...for that I wished Cassie was there with her guitar. Last but not least reason number four...I love the smell of campfire and I wanted it to sink into my coat as much as possible....oh and it did.
The past few days have been very enjoyable. I had a great Thanksgiving holiday and I hope all of you did as well!




P.S. if you go look at my picture site I am aware that I spelt marshmallow wrong in every picture!

No comments: